eudaemonic- (adj.) producing happiness and well-being

Saturday, November 12, 2005

I had Ramen Noodles for lunch Friday. I was reading mail and just casually looked at the nutrition packet. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH SODIUM IS IN ONE OF THOSE 15 CENT PACKETS? I’m not a complete idiot; I knew it was sky high. What I didn’t know is that the number would ‘round the moon and back!
FAT: 8
CALORIES: 190
SODIUM: 850

It all seemed mildly innocent enough… until you looked at the serving size. That little 3X3 inch block of bonded noodles is labeled two serving sizes. That means multiply the sodium by 2! Good grief! If our bodies are 90% water, I just turned my innards into an ocean! Don’t pull off your shoes and use your toes for the calculation... I’ll do it for you. That makes the 3 ounce and self-proclaimed “America’s finest Ramen Noodle Soup,” have a grand total of 1700 mg of sodium! Eeek! Ohh!

Sodium regulates the body’s fluid balance and blood pressure, aides muscle relaxation and caries nutrients to cells. However, we only need 500 mg a day to fuel these important reactions. This is a very strange thing to think about, and I don’t normally mull over my salt intake (or in this case marinate in- hehehe)… at least not until two weekends ago. Yes, Nov. 3…. a great day…. the day… the date of my Aggie ring arrival.. the Aggie ring that is too small! So when I eat too much salt I can’t get the thing off! But then, I guess, why would you want to take it off :o) ? When I was flying home from getting it, the Texas November heat and weekend travel made my fingers swell. When I was the security line to get on the airplane I was so afraid that the security guards would make me take it off with my other jewelry. I stood there and tried to wiggle it off, twist it off but anything short of cool water wasn’t going to get the gold disc off my digit. No worries though- they didn’t even ask for me to take it off :O). To back a little more in time, on first flight down I had to eat lunch in the airport and I seriously walked all around the food court to find a place that I thought wouldn’t use too much salt.

Give neither advice nor salt, until you are asked for it.
English proverb

Oops :O)

2 Comments:

Blogger megamoo06 said...

Ahhh... The wonders of salt. It can melt snow, it can swell fingers, and it can taste GREAT. :)

1:51 PM  
Blogger J. Cleveland Payne said...

Mmmmmm....

Yummy ramen...

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home