eudaemonic- (adj.) producing happiness and well-being

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I went to the local Boys and Girls Club for a story today. They built a new facility, so the owners of the paper and I took a tour.

It was so, very nice.

BUT, the thing that captured me most about this group wasn't the brilliant wall color or smell of fresh varnish on their new gym floor (twice the size of the old one)... it was the zing by which their president voiced what they do within those walls and on that floor.

They build kids up, he said. They give kids a sense of belonging, a sense of responsibility and the encouragement that they can do anything. Really, anything.

It was after that tour that I realized that I probably have the best job in the world. I get to visit with people who have that same zing for issues across the board. Sometimes, a lot, of times bad stuff happens - like rapes, murders, assaults, corruption and the like - but, love always wins.

It's true isn't it? You can disagree with me if you want to, because I know bad things happen in this world. I'm not completely immune to the pain and suffering going on around me... but, it's love that makes people act... that makes people stand up and work to fix problems.

Tam and I were admiring the passion of a shoe salesman (he's more that that really, but, he makes shoes, so that's his job) who gives one pair of shoes away for each he sells. The shoes look exactly the same - minus shoe color - so, it's kind like a fashion and a cultural statement.

Anyway, I was complaining that I wanted to do something (to pull a Nehemiah and rebuild some wall for Jesus, fix some wrong)... but I don't have any particular people group screaming in my ears. I don't know where the broken wall is.

She told me that the way I was fighting injustice was by writing about it, by informing others.

...

But, I don't think I really do that. As a journalist... I feel like I should remain completely neutral and I mean COMPLETELY neutral. No lean, no slant, no shading of the issues.

I'm a wiry, young laborer... give me a hammer somebody :)

2 Comments:

Blogger megamoo06 said...

Hey there, young lady. You have a very important day tomorrow. I hope you spend it doing something very fun. Whatever your assignment is tomorrow, it better be uplifting. You can tell your editor that, "Megan said so."

7:03 AM  
Blogger robin said...

have you read his blog? (the toms shoes guy) i just signed up for an update, and i really like his most recent entry ... he went to visit an elementary school that recognizes people who are 'GottaGivers.' i like that! i want to do that in my classroom. what a cool thing to teach kids early on.
http://www.blakemycoskie.com/

i think tam's right. just by lending your ear and space in the newspaper you're making a BIG difference in people's lives. i think you can be unbiased and passionate @ the same time, and i think you're good at that. :)

happy day!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home