eudaemonic- (adj.) producing happiness and well-being

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The sun will come out tomorrow... bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there will be sun

Today was so much better than yesterday. I remembered how to do things, I got to go on a really neat tour of the Capitol (the Capitol yea!), I answered my first two constituent calls, and my intern coordinator is back from vacation and gave me exciting info.

This tour was good.. oh my word it was good! One of the guys in the office (the backup intern boss) took me on it and he is a history buff.. he is a Schwarzenegger strength history buff. He knew everything! Like the office I'm in, it's called the Cannon building, named after Joe Cannon the Speaker of the House in 1903-1911. They called him Uncle Joe and, according to the buff, he was "powerful and ruthless." I can't remember all the stories, but long story short, he knew what he wanted and normally got it. We went through the tunnels (which is where I eat lunch) and just went right on in. I got my badge today so I'm cleared to enter! I got to stand on the floor of the House of Representatives and stand behind the podium that the Congressmen use to make comments. He showed me where a bullet hole went through a desk from a spat many years ago. I got to stand in the whispering spot in the old area where they used to meet.... AAAH and so much more! He took me over to the Senate side and I got to see offices for really neat people, for example I stood outside Vice President Cheney's office! I really wish I could remember everything! I got to walk down a staircase that is normally just for Senators and went in the area where Congressmen can get away from the public. Yowza, it was awesome!

And.... it gets better! I won't be spending my whole time answering phones and sorting mail. She said I could go to committee meetings, or other meetings if I wanted. She said if there was something that I wanted to do, I should just ask; normally they're very accommodating. Another person told me to tell the press fella that I want to do something in his area and press releases could be in my future. I get to help with letters tomorrow. Yea for extra assignments!!!!

But, I'm just happy not to be so nervous handling the phones anymore.

3 Comments:

Blogger megamoo06 said...

Wow! I can just see it now... For some reason though, in my daydream, you are wearing a black robe and wearing one of those white wigs. Remember when we called the representative's office? Now you're the one answering those calls!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

sooo neatoo!! Man, history is just bursting at the seams there and you are right there in the popped thread!! I am so glad that you are going to get to do the stuff that you really want to do. You shall be a great asset to the capital my dear. If you see Mr. Cheney...tell him that i said hi.... we used to play golf together back in college...hehe...and yes.. he used to spell his name that way too.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

humm ... i was right about the spelling of his last name so you can pretend that everything after hehe...is not really there but i didnt want to delete it because you would have wondered what i deleted... talk to you later UNCLE STEPH... hehe

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home