eudaemonic- (adj.) producing happiness and well-being

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I'll do it tomorow

To all that doubted... I took my Freshman English CLEP test yesterday. Ha, take that you naysayer! I'll admit, it was the last possible day to take it before I jumped over that maximum hour requirement, but I made the deadline! I have a love/hate relationship with deadlines. On one hand, they stink because more times yes than no, you have to rush your work to meet that little designated box on your calendar. Normally rushed production leads to work that is, let's just say, not high quality. However, on the other hand, if I didn't have deadlines, I wouldn't get anything done. NOTHING. Case and point: I like to scrapbook and crochet. I have a box of half-cut decorations and a file on my computer with unprinted pictures. Yep, that's definitely not a scrapbook, it's a black hole where Hobby Lobby tells me to throw my money :O). To the accumulating amass of yarn in my closet... um, what can I say? I just don't get anything done if I don't have a deadline. You may suggest that I make a self-imposed deadline, but no... if it's not mandatory, do it today or do it never, "rake you over the coals if you slack on this one" type of deadline, I'm not doing it. Bummer!
I am what is called a structured procrastinator (http://www-csli.stanford.edu/~john/procrastination.html). I put off some things in order to do other things. Gotta’ love lists! When composing them, you start with the most important things on top… they could be bolded, in caps or highlighted, and then round out the list with tasks that are valuable, but just not as important. Well, what does a procrastinator do? Of course, complete the tasks at the bottom of the list before the headliners. Is this a problem?… haha, here is where we cheat the system. Those neon blinking lights that fill the No. 1 and 2 spots on the to-do list are often mandated tasks, meaning they have a deadline GIVEN TO ME BY SOMEONE ELSE! Yes! Foiled the character flaw once again!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

hi friend i miss you. I do things tomarrow too. I watched pride and prejudice today...a little of it anyway. I fell asleep... but NOT because it was boring (its my fave book) just because i had a long hard fun weekend with no rest. i think that i procrastinate sleep.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home