eudaemonic- (adj.) producing happiness and well-being

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Relax by James Bowie- The gently tapered wings of swift lake swallows, cut through the air like soft whispering sighs, while they dart in and out of a clustered hovering mass of mayflies, that drift just inches above the shimmering lake that reflects the orange hued light of the setting sun. On a floating dock, worn in spots by the rubbing of moored boats, I sit in a weathered Adirondack chair with the purpose of only to relax to the rhythmic rocking caused by small rolling waves from cruising pleasure boats, with people waving as they pass by. Looking down through the clear jade tinted waters I notice the octagonal amber markings on a small box turtle that seems to be ambling, rather than swimming through the still water as it passes by, seemingly without a care for anything but its mysterious unknown destination. These moments pass fleetingly, but remain ingrained in my mind for those times where I feel the sides pressing in, my escape is into these simple moments, where all that the world requires of you is to sit back and take in what is offered, without asking for anything in return. ___________Aaaah. Have you ever had a moment like that? A moment where the only thing that needs to be accomplished is the task of watching what's going on around you? Stalking...errr, I mean people watching is my favorite, hahaha. After my exam this morning, I had about 20 minutes to kill before Ag Policy. I know what you're thinking, "Stephanie, why didn't you go to class early so you could organize your highlighters and get you post-it notes ready?" Yes friends, I won't deny it, the thought did go through my mind. However, I decided to pursue a different option. There's this arborists dream on campus beside the Chem building, across the street from Reed McDonald. If you sit in the bench to the left of Chem, the tree branches overhand just enough where it knocks out the vertical and right side view. With the Chem building and its beauty to your left, you're in a little nature green box! It’s fantastic! The H20 fountain offers the relaxing sound of running water and you have a perfect spot to watch people. It's almost like you're invisible... that is until the person you're watching catches you staring! Oops :O) When I watch people I like to guess what kind of person they are. Are they going home this weekend to celebrate Father's Day? Do they like the ocean or the lake? Chocolate or vanilla? What do they want to be when they grow up? And... oh yeah... am I crazy or just weird?

So instead of contemplating that, hahah :O) , go sit in your favorite spot, relax and enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home